- Beware of non-refundable reservations that could cost you a lot of money if you change or cancel them. +Non-refundable reservations are a gamble that will usually save you less than $10. If you make a $90 non-refundable reservation instead of a $100 refundable booking, you are betting $90 to win $10. Would you do that in Las Vegas? -
- Don't assume you can cancel a non-refundable reservation without penalty if you notify the hotel weeks or even months in advance. +Often you cannot because some hotels' profit strategy is to get paid more than once for the same room for the same night. -
- Always read cancellation policies carefully before you make a reservation. + When is the latest date and time you can cancel without penalty? -
- When you make a reservation, you will receive a confirmation email. Take a copy with you to the hotel.
- The earlier in the afternoon you check into a hotel, the more likely you will get a room or suite that matches your preferences.